News & Updates for January-June 2004
Other news found here:
2005-2006 | Jul-Dec 2004 | Jan-Jun 2004 | Jul-Dec 2003 | Jan-Jun 2003 | 2002 News
As of 12/11/04
As of 11/30/04
- A lot of the wonderful folks that let us link to them to share
pictures with all of you have been changing their photo galleries.
(Thank you to them all!!!!!!) I fix things where I can, but
this can be very time consuming... I do realize there are still a bunch of
- Did mass fix to
de Ringe's links
- Fixed links from
Lovely Liv on Arwen's Blood Red,
- Note... there are a bunch of
War of the Ring links that have gone bad with their gallery change.
- There is no pattern I can find for a search and replace and there are
too many links for me to go in and hand fix right now... we'll just have
to cope for a while.
- Challenge to you techies... can you find a pattern or patterns that
would allow me to do "replaces"???
- Added Alison's convention report on the character Decipher Cards
As of 11/18/04
- As requested, latest tips on Wig
Maintenance made it into a page.
- Major scrapbook
put in everything that I have enough information on. I've sent out
messages and not heard back from the rest of you.
- Please do check your own work, including links and proofing.
(Once again, the better spelling has come from overseas... and that's just
what I caught.)
- Looking for your entry??? Family and mixed-race couples are in
- Sorry, not taking time to do all the interactive links... but updates
in Elf 17-20, Nasties 2 & 3, Humans 7-8, Hobbits 4-5, Middle-earth
groups 4, cloak 2, banner 2, horse stable 2
- Please cleanup your photos from the yahoo section now
- New pattern update from Judy
- Jules has put our tips on fabric nap
together and combined them with Nicole's pictures
- Judy's updated Celborn to reflect both
outfits he wears
- Updated all the museum stuff. This means we now have a page for
the Sydney exhibit.
- Hey, now is the time to start making plans for the opening party in
- Anyone who wants to help fill in details on what to do there... now's
the time to start filling folks in.
- Added Judy's Ringcon pictures
- Rae has sent in high rez
photos from Comic Con 04 including some views we haven't seen before.
They're in both the exhibit section and with the individual characters
- New Review from Boston by
Rhiannon... lots are Arwen Chase outfit sketches.
- Fabric cards from Sytske.
Some are very high rez fabric scans including new Ring Wraith
- Added lots more to fabric distressing
and added leather distressing -
lots of tips from lots of folks... thanks to Judy for digging up a bunch
of the tips.
- Touched up some cloak information, including
Strider's first cloak
- A bit more work on the Buy it section.
Still a mess, but added foam
and adhesive sources.
- More link cleanup and additions
As of 10/16/04
Quintessential Website is back!!!! It's now hosted by
War of the Ring. Yea!!!!
I got way lucky... I was able to automate the conversion of the almost
800 links to them. 3 cheers for WAR.
- Tickets now on sale for the traveling exhibit in
Sydney Australia -
December 16, 2004 to March 31, 2005
- More link cleanups and add bits to various making sections.
As of 10/08/04
As of 9/24/04
- Just moved onto a new sever again. Emergency move from their
point of view. Geeze, sometime wanna kill the hosting company.
Guess we're just too popular for them. Now we have our own virtual
server.. and the bill to go with it.
- Misc link cleanup.
As of 9/11/04
As of 8/22
- Lots of the links have been updated for Arwen. 3 cheers for
Johanna who did all the digging.
- Cleaned up the exhibit section to
help with navigation and get more links setup.
- Scrapbook update - It's a party, more Boston pictures
- Misc cleanup.
As of 8/17
- Judy's done all the pattern updates from the fall pattern books books.
All pattern sections have been updated.
- Judy's notes from the Boston
- Traveling exhibit review
- At long last, got Aya's pictures up from the
NY weapon's exhibit at the beginning of
- Wonderful close-ups... large files for great details.
- Many apologies... am slowly working though my backlog from the
beginning of the year.
- How to make a doll muslin for the
elven gowns by Dale
- New fabric cards from Celefinniel
- Updated drawing on the sleeves of
the Requiem dress from Anárien.
- Added pictures of the Burger King toys of
Arwen's Rose dress, shows the hair style.
Thanks to Fatimah
- Added Easy Sew Tabard pattern
- Added aging chain maille page
- Started a new Clay section in the Jewelry
- Added how to make a clay rose for Rosie,
courtesy of Katia (includes pictures)
- Started a precious metal section - now that the tab is there... lets
get write-ups for it.
- Scrapbook updates. Check them out.
- It's a Party - Boston Exhibit and Comic Con
- Elves 16 and 17, Humans 7, Middle Earth Groups 3, Nasty 2, Horse 1,
Dolls, Hobbits 4, Banners
- Thanks you everyone who submitted... ya listened to my rants... and did
good with the formats. Made it so much easier.
As of 8/7
- Thanks to the Comic Con pictures, Katrine has drawn out the
embroidery for Eowyn's coronation
outfit... and given us more info about what repeats and what doesn't'.
There are two patterns and the fancier one is in two different sizes.
- Finished getting up the Comic Con
photos. The Exhibit pages show only some of the main photos...
there are even more in the character pages. Many thanks to all the
photographers: Garfeimao, Heather, Jedi K, Kelldar Michelle and Silvara for your photos
(and the others who offered). Thank you so much for taking time out
of your con running time to take them and get them to us. Luscious!
- I tired to get photos thank-yous in the sections where I could, but I
keep finding misses since I made so many new pages to accommodate the
photos. I at least have the master sections marked. If you've
questions about any of the photos, they are all IDed by sufex.
- If anyone on these, or other photos need to be credited different, in
a different place, more places or whichever.... please let me know.
I think I'm following everyone's wishes, but there's a crazy volume
now a days. Just send the URL and I will happily fix.
- I did expand the Gondor Armor pages out to separate general
3rd age armor from the
Citadel Guard. There really
still is a lot of overlap, but it helps the page load. If I've
missed updates or expanding the page or I'm pointing to the wrong place,
folks can let me know off line. I'm just not as good at armor as I
need to be.
- We could still use better photos of the Orc. (What kind is he?)
Also more of the King would be nice... with or w/o green light.
- Links to all the new Comic Con photos can be found on the
Comic Con main page, with the
Photographers main pictures featured in the the sub sections... so head
there and click.
- Put up a few smocking notes and a
bit of additional info in Wormtongue
from Feud who knows smocking.
- Eowyn's Victory Gown and
Eowyn's Coronation Gown swatch
card. Image from a card by Maggie.
- Remember, check out which swatch
cards folks have sent in. If you have one that we don't, please
think of sending us a high rez copy.
- More cleanup for both page load and the nanny filters though out.
- Page loads are going to get longer. Apologies to those on dial
up, but I'm trying to find a middle ground that excludes no one.
Keep letting me know about those that are just toooooo big.
- As to Nanny filters... why am I bothering??? Well, besides some
of our younger members still having them (who we try not to exclude),
some states have their library filters set really high. I'm trying
to keep us accessible to as many folks as possible but when discussion
clothing items and fit... sometimes... it's just not going to happen.
You can send me the exact url's off line and I'll see if I can continue to
- Tweaked numerous descriptions. I know a lot more still need to
be updated... I updated the dates on the revisions when I change
things. Not all observations on the yahoo list get in... I file them
for later.. but can't do it all at once. Sorry I can't list them all
here, but thanks to everyone who contributed... even if I don't have it
all in yet.
- Naming conventions: Since I had to fix the mess with Aragorn's
ROTK costumes I'd made, I found I had to fix naming as well. What we
call his "royal armor" is "Black
Gate Armor" both to make it clearer... and because that's the name
that Weta uses. His Coronation
Armor stays with it's old name, but it's broken into a whole lot of
As of 7/29
As of 7/25
- There's a surprise exhibit at Comic
Con. All the pictures folks can take. The first batch are
up. Yummy stuff from Kelldar. A lot of the section got worked on at
the same time. Same costumes
as we saw at the FIDM exhibit this year. While I added pictures... I
split pages up and updated some descriptions. Be sure to check the
outfit pages, the crown, the jewelry and fabric descriptions since I'm not
linking every page I added to and the Comic Con page is just an overview.
- Arwen's Coronation Gown
- Split out fabric and design.
- Edited together info for Arwen's Butterfly Crown. So now,
all pattern info including
sizing is all on one easy to find page.
- Aragorn's Coronation Armor....
discovered while doing the Comic con pictures that I'd forgotten to post a
bunch of the FIMD pics... so much nice stuff there
- While updating pictures on Eowyn's
Coronation gown, redid the description. It's up to date based on
observations at at FIDM and ComicCon pictures.
Fabric and design on a
whole new page.
- Redid description for Galadriel's
Grey Havens cloak. Pattern coming soon. There are enough
details on the embroidery that as soon as I get the pattern out, I hope
someone will do the flat design. Enough pictures were added that
there is now full bead and fabric detail for the
- Expanded Faramir's coronation and
armor page and broke it into a full section. Detailed
descriptions for tunics and embroidery added.
- Pippins Gondorian Formal Outfit.
Did some updating of the descriptions while adding the pics. Cloak
is completely described.
- Merry's Armor - Managed to pull
up some very good detailing and patters for his helmet
- Just new pictures from ComicCon without extra updates. (Well
I have to sleep some time!)
- King of Dunharrow
- Gondor Armor
- Yes, I know that whole page/section is a disaster... but to be blunt
folks only complain it's a mess and has mistakes and no one volunteers to
break it up and fix the whole thing.
- Finally got the fabric cards put with their individual costumes.
- You can see all we have in Buy-it> Fabrics>
- If you own a card you don't see there, we'd love a photo of it.
High rez. We're literally looking for something like 1600x1200 pixels for
- Anárien sends in some details and sketches on..
- Started a tips page of
metal etching from the latest post. Mostly warnings.
- Fixed the news page (this page) so it loads much faster... pealed off
all the old news into the new News Archives.
- Added links around and bits to tips that were on the yahoo board.
Too scattered to mention and just from our yahoo posts.
- Updated some of the costume descriptions a tad and fixed the aging
As of 7/10
OK, I got a bit carried away while I was doing 6 months worth of scrapbook.
The scrapbook alone is now over 250 pages. Besides pictures in the
scrapbook, there are a number of tips. Techniques are
everything from easy and cheap to intense. Some of these tips ended up
in the Quick or main section, especially if they were illustrated and I
could cut and paste them. I'm only mentioning whole page or section
As I was getting carried away... and recognizing this was
going to be a publish from heck... I did another round of menu reworking.
(Adding new pages is what kills the publish sometimes.) Some of the
pages are complete. Some are sparse because I need to cut and paste
even more tips in... but that works better when I have a base.
- Added a new section for Children's LOTR
costumes. Right now it's is a few general tips, links around our
site and small breakdowns for Arwen and Hobbits. Please
contribute... I'm totally clueless about kids... but I know we have
great call for this.
- Circlets, Crowns and
Jewelry, OH MY!!
- This just became a major section... or it will be once I get more
articles from folks. Mostly tips for now. However, I'd love to
host some jewelry making articles that you folks have written.
For the tips section, they do not need to be LOTR related. Just
helpful to the group.
- Basically... just expose the whole section, lots new all over.
- I'm now breaking out
"real" jewelry making as it's own section. Right now, I've
assembled tips on soldering and other recent info. I'd appreciate
help... links on the web, etc.
- More updates on the Arwen
Butterfly crown. Pattern and sizing information. I've had
to retitle this as "Tin sheets" because I've got multiple techniques I
need to cover in this section.
- Added Michelle's tutorial on
creating Arwen's Butterfly
crown from clay and wire
- Added Michelle's tutorial on
creating an overlace - Arwen's Coronation Gown.
- Use the link in news to get to this for now since in the middle of a
whole empty section on fabric embellishment.
- Reworked all the info on Eowyn's belts - if anyone objects to the
naming, yelp now.
- The medallion belts now have
their own page. The information has been corrected to reflect the
fact that there is a gold and a silver belt. Also we have an updated
pattern for the belt, thanks to Mirjana.
- Put together all the info and links we have on Eowyn's
- Fiddled with the Eowyn section a bit.
More links, moved pictures, etc. Still much work to do in
descriptions but have added links to Maggie's study guides.
- Added some quick tips and two new pages,
Quick Jewelry and Quick Crowns.
- Scrapbook entries done.... many months of scrapbook. Sorry all
for the delay... much real life. However, I won't let it get this
far behind again... I'd not survive.
- Entries everywhere. Start at the
Scrapbook Menu and explore from there. Many entries every where.
Many tips not to be missed.
- Elven Grove 12 through Elf 16, Fellowship Trek 4 & 5, Human Halls 6 &
7, Hobbit Holes 3 & 4, Nasties Lair 2, Middle Earth Groups 2 &
3, Banners, Dolls 1, Horse Stables 1, It's a Party - ROTK Opening
- YOU are responsible for proofing your own scrapbook entry. Find
it, check it and let me know what changes you want. Provide URL's...
don't say purple elf. Check my yahoo post following this
announcement for more info.
- There are going to be a few place holder pages that are blank right
now. However, it's easier for me to build the menus all at one time.
If something is blank or really light... it means we want stuff.
Please consider writing something up. OK, in some cases, rewriting.
I need cut and paste items. I just don't have time to edit together
8 messages into one tip, no matter how good it is.
2005-2006 | Jul-Dec 2004 | Jan-Jun 2004 | Jul-Dec 2003 | Jan-Jun 2003 | 2002 News
LOTR Home | Up | The Hobbit | News 'n' Exhibits | Characters | Quick Costumes | Making 'Em | Buy It | Resources | Community | Search Us | Contact Us
This page was last updated