Legolas, son of Thranduil of Mirkwood is
the elven representative in the Fellowship of the Ring. He outfits
appears to remain rather static though out the trilogy, with a few
additions here and there.
His basic outfit is a two toned suede jerkin. This is worn over a
pale silk shirt and dark suede trousers. He wears knee high
soft boots and wide leather vambraces. He is seldom without bow and
Legolas arrives in Rivendell for Elrond's Council wearing a simple
velvet cloak over his standard two tone suede jerkin. This cloak
not seen again in FOTR.
His bow is dark and he carries an quiver decorated in abstract elven
designs. He wears wide leather vambraces decorated in gold the
entire time he wears the jerkin.
He removes his jerkin and vambraces the first evening in Lothlorien.
There he wears just his shirt and his belt.
When the fellowship leaves Lothlorien, he is gifted with a new
bow, peacock quiver and new arrows as well as the fellowship cloak.
Note: a number of "posed" shots mix the Mirkwood kit with the fellowship
cloak. Be careful of details when combining bow/quiver/cloak.
Even the front quiver buckles are different.
Colors: in the movie with the color correction, the jerkin is dark olive
over lighter olive with a shirt of pale blue. At exhibits, but not
under the best of lights, the jerkin looks brown on top and olive green.
Shirt is silver. Trousers are dark brown.
Good general shots to see the whole outfit
- Preparing to fire his bow, beside the tree
- Good full shot can see all pieces of his costume, but not details
- Very good reference for scale
- Mirkwood bow
- Shooting sideways, magazine spread
- Shooting bow, kneeling, side, poster background
- Looking out, tree at side
- long shot, as he is at end of the movie, very dark, but you can
lighten to pickup detail.
- Look at how the cloak lays... it much be slit to give it this
look... wonder if he has two
- Good look at vambraces and front of sleeve.
- Can just see the tunic though the front to see length.
- Portrait photo - sepia
- Ready to shoot, bow low, grey paper background
- Ready to shoot - forest w/ Mirkwood's bow , facing sideways (from the
- (sticker book shoot - we need a link that's in play to a scan.)
- Posed shot because he as the Mirkwood bow and quiver, but wearing
the fellowship cloak.
- Look at detailing on Mirkwood bow
- You can pick up some boot detail
- Note the cloak is laying flat despite the quiver sticking out his
back. Cloak is slit or split to accommodate this. Other shots the
cloak is just stuffed around the quiver.
- Costume continuity shots from ext DVD
- Dressed in the tunic... continuity shot
- Dressed in Mirkwood kit, front - continuity shot
- Dressed in Mirkwood kit, back - continuity shot
- BtW, Trailer shot, reading book, knee up
|Legolas as a 6" toy. On large picture can see more
detail on the boots and the inside of the vambraces. See bow
||The back shows some detailing of the Mirkwood quiver.
The knife handle also has the coarse detail from the original.
Also can see some boot detail
More toy notes and detailing
Ohh, we're just got too much information for here... click on the pic for an
Under the jerkin he wears a pair of tight trousers. These are tucked into his
boots. They appear to be suede also, but are not. They are more like a knitted
suede cloth or cotton velour. Lots of stretch so they fit tight. The trousers
are a grey-green in real life. They appear more green to blue-green in the film
because of the color creations. Trousers seen on exhibit appear to be grey with
a hint of green possibly suede or maybe velour - Weapons & Warfare book claims
trousers are soft gray-green woolen hose and Museum Replicas claims they are
|Vambrace detailing, from ROM exhibit
|Vambrace decorate detail, laying in case.
||Vambrace detail: they are longer than
they look here, because of distortion from the angled photo.
||Vambrace detail from the 6" toy.
Notice the pattern is the same.
|Vambrace detailing, right. From
standee (Daniel G.)
|Left vambrace. From standee
These are additional shots to go with the general shots at the top of the
- Arwen Reaching to Legolas
- Firing bow in the tomb, Bo background, Gimli on top of tomb
- med shot, very large, great rez
- wonderful shot of the inside of the vambrace
- Leather sleeve is very stiff
- Note how shirt sleeve is behaving, very tight
- Note the incredible detail of the vambraces closures
- Against rock face, looking down
- Looking in awe at new bow
- Shooting, focus on the arrow fletching - Moria
- Vambrace - continuity shot - DVD
- Firing bow in forest
- Legolas standing, hand on Aragorn's shoulder
- Legolas at Helms Deep, holding bow down
Focus on Hair
Many of the elven hair styles have braids. Legolas's long blond locks
are no different. Most of the hair is pulled back off his face with
a thick herringbone braid down the back of his head. He also has small
"lace" braids that start at the front of the temple and keep the hair back
behind the ears.
There are no visible bands that secure the braids so they may be waxed ( or
How to do the Legolas Braid
It is the herringbone and lace combined. Click the pic to
see Dream Weaver
Braiding's page on how to make the braids.
Scroll down to LOTR
- Make the back braid!!!
- Doing the side braid
- Start at the very very very very VERY front with the 3 smallest
pieces you can muster. Cross the top over the middle, then the bottom
over the middle. Then when you go to cross the top over again, add a
tiny bit of hair. Cross the bottom one over the middle without adding.
Repeat until you get to above right behind the ears, then regular
braid about 3 inches down (on hair the length of Legolas's anyway),
combine the 3
strands, redivide them into 2, and herringbone to the end.
- Dream Weaver Braiding has some examples of the Legolas Braid
Full page of braiding Legolas
- Facing sideways, with Mirkwood quiver
- mcu - exec rez
- Side braid herringbone patterns shows really clearly
- Fantastic detail of Mirkwood quiver and arrows
- Some detail of tunic pattern. However, be careful, this picture
has been majorly touched up and certain things brushed out or toned
down. (Like the shoulder seam)
- Legolas and Aragon - full side, in woods
- Sad Legolas, tree soft focus
- Fighting, looking up
- Dismay our enemies card - Leg fighting cave Troll - back
- Back/side of hair
Legolas' boots are really movie magic multipart constructs.. The
basic boot is a short angle length pull on boot with elastic sides.
Over it are book toppers wraps that were created by the wardrobe department.
These toppers wrap around and fasten on the inside. A strap goes under
A design similar to the vambraces is imprinted on the boot wraps.
However, the books look like a soft suede, so the designs are not tooled.
|Boot detail from the London Exhibit
Thank you to Torn for these pictures.
Full gallery here:
|Boots and the wrap lightened
|Boot, from standee
||Upper book and a bit of the trouser leg
|Toy: Front of Legolas' boot. Can see a bit of edgings
and a wrap.
||Side of boot. Can just make out the gold swirls of
decoration on the sides. Same as the vambraces.
||Back of boot. Smooth. Decoration at top.
Check out Suzanne's book wraps tutorial:
-- Project lead on the research: Judy and Emily. Many people contributed
since he's so many people's "doll". Extra mention for Tammy, who was the
first one to create all the details of his outfit (so was ahead of us all on
the learning curve) and Meniteau for finding us the extra links we needed.
Additional work done by people to numerous to thank. Check
artwork for additional credits.
Legolas' Original Costume
Legolas's costume was changed after shooting began. It is seen in the
FOTR extended version in the alternate pre-Lothian meeting with Haldir.
- Fellowship on the platform - Haldir back to frame
- Looking to the left - dark and dirty
- Looking back, side back
Fellowship Reunion Outfit
Pale blue silk shirt. Raglan sleeves, design on the top of the
sleeve, double needle stitching.
Belt is the same as the hero fellowship shirt. 4 strand flat braid
ending at a point. Small stylized butterfly in silver at the center.
Debate if this is the hero shirt from the fellowship
- Calendar pic with hobbits on the bed
Standee pictures throughout this section are from Judy and Dan G
Pictures have been contributed from a wide variety of sources.
Steve J, Ronda, Margret, TORn and more
LOTR Home | Jerkin detail | Shirt | Council Velvet | Leather Armor | Legolas Kit | Coronation Robe
Up | Female Elves | Arwen | Lady Galadriel | Male Elves | Legolas | Elrond | Celeborn | Gil_Galad | Haldir | Glorfindel | Elves in Armor | Elven Things
This page was last updated