Elrond FOTR Costume Breakout
Work in progress, we are currently
fixing up the art work!
Basic Under Robes
"Welcome to Rivendell, Frodo"
First view of Elrond is when Frodo awakens from his mortal wound
and he welcomes Frodo.
Salmon colored robe, dupioni silk, with mandarin collar and
silver soutache cord embroidery covering a V-yoke, on the collar and
on the sleeve cuffs. Split entirely down the Center Front, it is
fastened only to the lower chest or high waist with 5 small ball
buttons. Sleeve appears to be a two-piece pattern: straight, inset
sleeve plus a belled lower arm that may involve the
Wrap (in some pics can see a slight curve up instead of a straight
cut) and also has some soutache design. The hem of the robe also
curves to the center like a "petal wrap". Entire robe appears to be
lined in a silvery/grey tone fabric. Robe is cinched with a
two-toned belt of cranberry and silver/salmon, tied with a long
drape that could be cords.
Color note: OK, for the sake of argument, it may not
actually be salmon, some behind the scenes look like grey.
However, we are choosing to use the color name that we see in the
film and most of the pictures.
- Smiling down at Frodo
- CU Hi-rez
- best view of entire yoke and soutache design
- Portrait photos - sepia
- Elrond thinking, plate
- Laying back, thinking
- Looking down, in library (w/ grey robe), Gandalf behind
- Sitting on the porch, back view (grey), Arwen running up
though the garden (TTT)
- Elrond at council looking to the side
- Elrond and Gandalf (BtS Hairdressing)
bronze underrobe, from the side
Little can be seen of the layer beneath the Salmon Robe.
Glimpses of a long tight sleeve are evident, and during the Council
when he sits, the Salmon Robe parts at the waist and the expanse of
a long cranberry silk can be seen. The extended DVD gallery stills
has shown us that Elrond is wearing cranberry colored trousers that
have petal-wrapped legs. While no matching shirt is shown, there is
no other explanation given on the DVD for where the cranberry
sleeves come from. Assumptions may be made that there is a long
sleeve shirt/tunic tucked into the trousers. The trouser seem to be
worn loose with the Dark Grey Drape, and tucked into his boots
during the Council scene.
- Sitting on throne in background, Bo's sleeve on front right
"Our list of allies grows thin!"
Elrond talks with Gandalf in a library of Rivendell, discussing
the politics of the world and the fate of the ring. Here he has
donned a dark grey velvet Drape over his Basic Outfit. The Drape is
split CF possibly with a shawl collar, full length and lined in grey
silk. It has slit openings for his arms which are covered by two
capelet drapes which appear to attach into the neckline of the
collar; the back edge falls straight down to just below elbow level;
the edges seem to be whipped to the lining giving a scallopy
appearance. The hem of the drape is square cut.
- Talking with Gandalf, side, leaves in front
- Taking with Gandalf, by wall scone, Gandalf in background
- At table, talking w/ Gandalf
- In library, side-ish view, books and 2 candles to the side
- In library, straight on, 2 candles to the side.
- Long shot of library, Elrond by stair
|Elrond council robes
||Sash design, preliminary, corrections
- Elrond wears his same Basic Outfit with a change of sash to a more
formal, very wide cranberry sash with a long front drape (etching or
couching on the drape of the sash) and a new formal Council Drape. Council
Drape is rust colored velvet lined in a swirly red & gold silk brocade
- The sleeve edges are so long, they just blend with the edge of the
robe. It appears almost to be a chasuble, but there is one shot in
the ext DVD in the editing outakes at the council where we do see Elrond
with his arms out completely.
- The sleeve stays "tight" only about 2-3 inches then the sleeve swoops
- . The "arm" panels are so wide they can be turned back to look
like a cuff, basically the same shape as Saruman's. There is etching along
collar region, on the upper "arms" and down the back. It is held together
with very thin cranberry colored cord tied into a bow at the base of the
collar. Center Back seam. It is well viewed in the DVD gallery stills, and
in the Farewell Scene you can see some of the fabric movement.
- Photos of the council robes from the Casa Loma Exhibit
- Casa Loma photo, throne in front
- Portrait photos - sepia
- Hand on chin
- Pensive, sitting, hand on chin
- Pensive, with crown
- Somber at Council
- Council, Aragorn's back, Elrond's side
- Farewell to the fellowship, Back of Elrond's head
Section edited by Judy. Design drawing by Ginger. Research
by many. Additional thanks to Anthony and Dawn for their drawings as
LOTR Home | Female Elves | Arwen | Lady Galadriel | Male Elves | Legolas | Elrond | Celeborn | Gil_Galad | Haldir | Glorfindel | Elves in Armor | Elven Things
Up | Elrond's Armor | FOTR Robes | TTT Robes
This page was last updated