Aragorn's Council Velvets
-- Aragorn Rivendell Outfit and Dream Sequence Tunic
June 2004, V3.0
Note, we've not had time to work on this since the DVD, so please excuse
the pics being out of order. We do have a bit more info on him... and
will get it posted as we can.
Please take time to go though the available screen caps to clear up the
Describing the Rivendell Outfit
This outfit is only seen in Rivendell for a short time so we do not have
a large description. It's worn for the bridge romance with Arwen and
at the Rivendell council over the fate of the one ring.
Just the brocade undertunic is worn during the "dream" sequence with
Basic description: Soft grey velvet sleeveless surcoat . It
is worn over a long sleeved
diamond patterned black and silver tunic. We have grouped
Rivendell pictures together.
||We now know that the embroidery also goes down the
front of the yoke
- Articles worn during Rivendell Council and the meeting on the
- Velvet Sleeveless surcoat
- Brocade Under tunic
- No hat or cloak with this outfit.
- Dream Sequence
- Brocade Under tunic
- No shoes
- Very little we know about them.
- They can be seen in the long shots at the Rivendell bridge.
- Assumption, probably a version of elf boots (since he was raised
there) but loose fit of boots makes that questionable.
- Flat heeled
- Do not look fitted
- Assumed to be free of mud.
- We have confirmation that these are the "Strider" boots.
- Know little about them.
- Assume that they're the same soft woolen trousers he wears with his
strider outfit. They are tucked into his boot tops
- They are drawstring and fly laces.
Under tunic (also single layer during the Dream sequence)
- Pictures show minimal details in FOTR. Best shot up close is
from the official screen saver and the few moments in the dream sequence.
- Silver metallic and black brocade in a diamond pattern - aprox 1/2
to 3/4 inch
- Black threads form the raised diamond edges
- Inside of diamond is mostly silver with black design (not heavily
- Speculation: look for this fabric with the opposite colors.
What we see may technically be the back side of the fabric.
(We do have documented evidence that other fabrics were used inside
- Medium-heavy weight fabric
- Thin for a brocade, but somewhat stiff
- Would make a smooth underlining for the soft surcoat
- Basic pattern
- High Mandarin collar, long sleeved narrow 3/4 length tunic
- 3/4 length
- Opens side front with buttons from side of neck down to waist.
- Does not appear that there are any other
- Long sleeved
- No cuffs but sleeve appear to flare out just slightly a few inches
from the end of the sleeve. There are two buttons on the end the
- Sleeves are fitted into body of the tunic - armscye curve
- How know? There is no bunching of fabric under the arm and
no dropped shoulder needed for a straight cut.
- Sleeve isn't quite modern normal... what is it?
- tad of an elf wrap, at the underarm wrist seam.
- two fairly large buttons at curr
- High collar
- Stand up collar is a separate pattern piece from the body of the
- About a two inch wide stand-up collar. Drops down to a point in
- buttons down the side, shoulder to waist/
Surcoat - Outer Tunic
- We have only minimal pictures since the outfit is seen only in
Rivendell. Even the color is slightly questionable given that all scenes in
Rivendell have a yellowish cast. However, we've since gotten some
images that are not adjusted.
- Surcoat is
thin silk velvet. Color is silver/grey.
- Why the color mix up? Color grading.
- Sleeveless surcoat with basically a sweet-heart neckline and yoke.
It opens completely down the front, buttoned to the waist. 3/4 length tunic. Belted
and tunic slightly bloused.
- Closures: 4 silver decorated buttons, top to waist.
- Belt: silver buckle, wrapped around the bucket and knotted.
the rest hangs down. Belt is about two inches wide.
- Yoke area
- This is a separate attached yoke. Given the embroidery, it
is assumed that it is interfaced to give the neck area proper body.
- Sewn embroidery surrounds the neck opening. Pattern
follows the curve of the yoke. Pattern runs down the front
opening of the yoke and then the same pattern is repeated farther down own the
bottom edge of the yoke.
- Collar edge of the yoke is definitely piped, maybe in metallic
silver. The under edge of the yoke is probably finished the same
way, but it's not definite. The edge may just be turned under
and stitched down.
- Yoke embroidery is in two rows and is tone on tone. It is
very hard to tell from the pictures we have. However, adjusting
the brightness and contrast on the monitor (or popping an image into
Photoshop) brings up a leaf pattern. Also goes down the front of
- White we still can't get a perfect look at the embroidery, the
pattern does appear to be about 6"-8" then repeats.
Early guess of embroidery patters around the neck.
This is not correct because it is a more complex pattern than this which
we're still working on. However, if you're going for a general design it
- Yoke on surcoat - piping. Self piping or silver metallic?
Are both the top and bottom of the yoke piped the same?
- Under tunic
- Slits? No slits, fasten on the side all the way to the waist, then
| Basic pattern of the
velvet sleeveless surcoat.
||Rough sketch of the diamond pattern
fabric of the inner tunic.
Main contributions thanks to Judy, Tammy and Cat.
In the library
- Reading in the Library, glancing up from book
- Head up from book
- Replacing Shards on platform
- Aragorn's hand on heart in front of the shards, Arwen' just entering
- Approaching Aragorn by the shards
- Arwen's entrance into the Library, Aragorn foreground
- Arguing, cu
The Weta Statue
These photos are all two shots of Arwen and Argon whispering sweet elven
phrases to each other.
- Clasping hands, cropped for just the two of them
Clasping hands, tree in foreground, circular shot
- Clasping hands, tree in foreground
- about to kiss (trailer)
- about to kiss
- The kiss, trees in the foreground
- CU over Arwen's shoulder
CU over Aragorn's shoulder
- Weta statue of Aragorn and Arwen - presenting evenstar on bridge
Full council meeting at Rivendell
Angry 2 shot - with Figwit
Standing, eyeing someone to the side
Almost the same, looking down
Again, another look out
- Sitting in chair, back shot
back only of Aragorn (seated on the end)
CU of Aragorn, over Frodo's shoulder
- ECU, intense
- Initial fellowship group shot
- Gem shot - we've seen this before but not at this contrast level!
- See the 4 silver buttons on the front of the tunic.
- The belt buckle is just visible
- Overtunic: Look at the shadow line about 3 inches from his shoulder to that goes down
to the center. It is not a straight edged yoke. There is a soft
curve in front. Look at the collar edge. There is a
design there about 1/4 an inch. It is repeated on lower edge of the yoke
- Taking this into a photo editing program might sharpen those designs.
- You won't be able to see this on all monitors... but quick trick...
turn up the brightness on your monitor... it will jump.
- The Fabric: Arwen handing him the Evenstar
- Special summary of this outfit:
Just the undertunic - from TTT dream sequence
- The kiss, long, favor Arwen
- Aragorn reclining, Arwen over, blue screen background
- Aragorn and Arwen, nose to nose
- cu, mid chest
- Can see two frog closing where it wraps to the right.
- For your consideration add, kiss - textured, side view
- Aragorn on couch in foreground, Arwen watching the sunset
- Talking together in the background
- Arwen laughing, Aragorn holding her close and nibbling her ear?
- Laying Back, from side
- Laying Back, from front
LOTR Home | Aragorn | Boromir | Eowyn | Faramir | Theoden | Eomer | Denethor | Isildur and Elendil | Wormtongue | Rohan | Gondorians | Easterlings | Haradrim | Dunharrow
Up | Strider | Kit and Weaponds | Council Velvet | TTT Outfits | Royal Armor | Fellowship Reunion | Coronation Garb | Funeral Garb
This page was last updated