Sleeve Detail: Galadriel's Prolog Dress
- The sleeves are cream silk chiffon.
- They have been embroidered with chain stitch, white floss for
satin stitching, tiny iridescent sequins and tiny beads.
Sleeve Pattern description
- They are standard set-in sleeves.
- The edges are serged.
- They are narrow in the upper arm and then quickly widen at the elbow.
The sweep is soft.
- If you have the National Geo DVD you can see this dress and the
sleeve shape as she slowing spins against a dark background. It's
near the end, in the final elf section.
- They extend about 8" beyond her fingers
- They are one piece, contact to most other elf sleeves, but in keeping
with the style of Galadriel's dresses.
- Their embroidery
pattern is quite different than the geometrics of the dress body.
The sleeves are very "organic" in their design -- Growing images of
firm leaves and fanciful plants.
- The pattern is very heavy on the edges of the sleeves. The
design thins as it extends up the sleeves, leaving plain chiffon at the
- The outline of the embroidery is machine chain snitched. It is
fairly intricate, but precise , to the point that the outline looks
computer generated. Afterwards, someone has gone over and added
satin stitching and beads.
- Note: the embroidery machines in India are able to chain stitch
about any pattern that can be scanned in now-a-days.
iridescent sequins are secured with seed beads to the points of the
ferns, daisy petal flowers and inverted heart shaped leaves.
Please note, these drawing are just rough sketches taken from my
notebook... but they were languishing unposted for far too long... so here
they are, until I have more time to clean them up.
-- pattern and notes by Cat, from a number of hours
spent with this dress when it was shown at FIDM in 2001
Exhibit pictures throughout this section thanks to
Secrete Elf, Garfeimao, Kelldar, and Silvara
LOTR Home | Prolog Dress | Mirror Dress | Under a Spell | Galadriel's Accessories | Grey Haven's Cloak | Silverload Cloak | Hair
Up | Pattern Detail | Belt Detail | Sleeve Detail | Fabric Detail