Fabric Detail: Galadriel's Prolog Dress
OK, time to be really obsessive.... The fabric on the
prolog dress may have been bought, but it has the feeling of being custom
made... It is a wonderfully beautiful blend of a flower and
geometry. Recognize you do not have to have this exact material to
recreate the dress, but it's fun to know the obsessive detail.
- The geometric pattern of the prolog dress can be stared at for an
hour. (Did that.) It is cream silk with an 8 point petal design of
silver and white heavy thread that is chain stitched to form the
expanding pedals. Heaver white thread fills in the triangular gaps with
a crazy stitch. There are two different styles of
centers for these flowers
The Flower Centers:
- There are two types of centers: a detailed "X" and a simple circle
- The "X"
- 5 mini pearls, one in the center and one at the far point of an
- These pearls are outlined in an "X" pattern with iridescent seed
beads. (See design below.)
- The magnificent petals are just formed from simple chain stitching
with a blended thread of white and metallic silver thread. This
reflective thread makes it harder to see the actual designs.
- Like the sketch... there are 8 rows of chain stitching - 4 to the
left and 4 to the right. There is no center stitch. (That
line is just there in the sketches to line up the petals and pears.)
- All horizontal and vertical petals are exactly the same size.
All diagonal petals are the same size.
The Fill pattern:
- The area between the petals is also
- Heaver white thread fills in the
triangular gaps with a "free hand" crazy stitch.
Please note, these drawing are just rough sketches taken from my
notebook... but they were languishing unposted for far too long... so here
they are, until I have more time to clean them up.
-- pattern and notes by Cat, from a number of hours
spent with this dress when it was shown at FIDM in 2001
Exhibit pictures throughout this section thanks to
Steve J., Secrete Elf, Garfeimao, Kelldar, and Silvara
LOTR Home | Prolog Dress | Mirror Dress | Under a Spell | Galadriel's Accessories | Grey Haven's Cloak | Silverload Cloak | Hair
Up | Pattern Detail | Belt Detail | Sleeve Detail | Fabric Detail