The ruler of Rohan has been bespelled and is under the control of evil.
His sight and mind have failed. He has prematurely aged
Theoden's clothing reflect the aging. His thick fuzzy robes have been
heavily aged and distressed. His feet are even wrapped in rags around
"I wanted him to have the appearance of someone who never got out of his
bathrobe!" Making of Trilogy, pg 93
Weta crown notes: Theoden's crown had some of the horse heads glued into place.
The day of shooting was at freezing or below freezing, and the glue kept
freezing and falling off. They had to have crew on standby to keep re-dluing
the horse designs back in place. If you watch carefully, the horses are absent
in some of the shots.
- 3 layers of gowns that had long ago seen their better day and a
- browns were made musty
- gold made "sickly yellow"
- embroidery was heavily aged, in some cases a rough knit open knit
embroidery has been sewn over the antique gold to mute the colors even
- topped with a heavily distressed fur collar
- It has been speculated by several folks from NZ that the fur is
- It is an animal that NZ has had trouble eradicating since it's
introduction by Europeans since it has no predators native to NZ.
- The fur looks pretty ratty even before distressing.
- feet wrapped in fur
|Just a very blurry shot of the belt and
inside of the coat. FIDM 2003
||CU of the belt. Leather and metal
- An old man alone on his throne
- Wormtongue glaring/ Theoden on throne
- Rushing down the steps
- High angle, red and green banker in background
- Begone Wormtongue - topps card - on steps, throwing him out
- Back side of same card
- Wormtongue over Bespelled Theoden's shoulder - FIMD exhibit 2003
- Detail of chest
LOTR Home | Aragorn | Boromir | Eowyn | Faramir | Theoden | Eomer | Denethor | Isildur and Elendil | Wormtongue | Rohan | Gondorians | Easterlings | Haradrim | Dunharrow
Up | Theoden Bespelled | Theoden Freed | Theoden's Armor | Theoden's Weapons | Theoden's Weapons
This page was last updated