LOTR Costume's FIDM tour and Gather
We're using the movie costume exhibit at FIDM to have a weekend
party in Los Angeles... come play with us. Makes a great excuse to visit LA.
Includes garment district tours, dinner and whatever other trouble we can
All Exhibit details, including location and parking <here>.
Calendar of events:
- Friday, March 7th, 2003
- All day LA garment district tour
- We're still working on the event. We're going to try and do
some car pooling.
- Early start - 10:30am - see below for details
- Group dinner in the evening
- Saturday, March 8th, 2003
- FIDM tour
- Mini Garment District tour and introduction
- 1pm aprox 3:30
- Meeting at Embee's, 9th and Maple - see below
- Evening ???? Movie
LOTR_Costume_Gather yahoo group for planning the weekend.
We have an RSVP List. Places for comments in the Database there.
We'll hammer out details there.
We're going to try and do some car pooling and putting up out of town
Contact: Cat -
email@example.com or 818-988-7987
Intro to Garment District Touring
If you've never been downtown before a few tips.
- Dress down, no shiny jewelry even if plastic.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Much walking.
- Sun screen is a must as is a hat for the sun sensitive anytime the sun
- Cash speaks. "How much for a yard?" then "How much for 10 yards,
- Some places with barter; some will not.
- Most places DO NOT have marked prices nor marked fiber contest.
If you really need something, be ready to get a swatch and go out on the
street and do your own burn test.
- Checks are a no-no most places. There are some ATM machines down
there, but they're not always working.
- Keep a close watch on your purse at all times.
- Bathrooms are few and far between, but our "home base" will be a
place with bathrooms.
- We're going into many small places. Be prepared to take notes.
Some allow swatching and will staple the samples to business cards, some
don't. Then you need to make a minimum purchase to get a sample.
- The main area we're covering is Maple street between Olympic and 8th.
- Eating: There are now some "brand name" places on Santee south of
Ninth. (One street west) On the weekends lines can be long... and
the bathroom lines even longer w/ purchase only. Starbucks, Subway,
McDonalds, El Polo Loco and more. The hot dog carts on Maple are
"safe" and the dogs are good.
Meeting down in the LA Garment District
The big tour is Friday, March 7th, 2003. Meeting time is 10:30.am.
Getting down there... from the north side of Los Angeles.
- Takes your favorite freeway to the 110 Freeway south
- If you're transferring from the 101, you need to move over 2 lanes
- You need to be in the middle of the 110. DO NOT take the
- right after the Wilshire ramp, get all the way over to the right.
- Get off on 9th. (It only goes East.)
- Get into a middle lane
- (If you're going to FIDM, get on the right side, you park in the
building right after Hope Street.)
- Past Los Angeles Street and the street becomes two way and you should
now be in the left lane. (Santee.)
- Turn left on Maple Street
- Go up about half a block and look for the flag man.
- Turn left into the building and go up the ramp.
- Take the elevators down
- Right across from the elevators in the center on the inside corner is
EmBee's. Introduce yourself to the shopkeeper and wait for us there.
- Meet at the building on 9th and Maple. The northwest corner.
Inside corner store... EmBee's
LOTR Home | Traveling Exhibit | LA Costume Gather-10/05 | FIDM 2005 | Comic Con 2004 | RingCon 2004 | Weapons Exhibit | FIDM 2004 | Neiman Marcus - LA | FIDM 2003 | Toronto ROM 2002 | Whitcoulls | Dymock Bookstore
This page was last updated