Costume Gather, October 15, 2005
You can join us for
all or just part of the day.
All Exhibit details, including location and parking map <here>.
Calendar of events - Summary:
Saturday, October 15, 2005
- 11am -1pm - Star Wars Costume Exhibit at FIDM
- 1:30-4:30ish - Garment District Tour, start at Em-Be's Fabric
- 5pm ish - Dinner at Golden Coast Buffet
Anyone may join us... keep up with info at
Gather . Enter your name in the database and read the latest
messages or RSVP to Joyce S. if you prefer at (joyfulbs @ prodigy.net)
Calendar of events - Details:
Parking situation: Parking will be tight at FIDM. You pay to park
at both FIMD and the garment district. We are going to try and
coordinate some car pooling. (details here)
Star Wars - Dressing a Galaxy Exhibit at FIDM - Oct 15
There is no lunch built into the schedule, you can grab a
sandwich at the student store, run across Olympic for a Subway at the gas
station, bring munchies or hit the snack shops in the garment district.
(We love the "junk dogs" on the hot
- We get to see 100+ Star Wars costumes and props in the main exhibit
hall as well at an X-wing in the elevator lobby
- We shop at their scholarship
- (outside on Grand, near 9th).
- It has $1 a yard fabric... and they count yards as 1, 2, $5 for bolt
most of the time.
- Trims and ready-mades incredibly inexpensive.
- When: 11:00- 1:00 aprx
- You MUST
buy a ticket
for this event.
- The charge is minimal. Tickets
are required; timed. handling fee of $5 per ticket for online
reservations, $7 per ticket for walk-up tickets, and $8 per ticket for
- If 11am is sold out, get 10:45 or 11:15 (right now, there looks
like plenty of tickets, but the PR machine is just starting)
- Where: Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) -
Museum Galleries on the Park, 919 South Grand Ave Los Angeles
http://starwars.fidm.edu/. This map also prints on your
tickets, park under the building, right turn off of 9th.
- Parking is under the building. We're checking on the price,
but it's normally $5-6. If lot is full, there are other lots
- When you arrive at FIMD... look for the person with the Costume Gather sign.
- Pick up a map and sticker from them to identify you as part of the
group that's heading over to the garment district
- If you know the garment district, also pick up a "paw print" so
folks know you know you way around down there
- New folks... We'll do the intro and tip info either at FIDM or at EmBe's. Depends on your
Garment District tour and introduction
- Tour the Los Angeles Garment District with a whole group of
costumers who plan to shop until they drop as we pillage all the local
- New Folks:
- We'll teach you the ropes downtown... where to park, where to
shop, how to shop, where to eat, find the ATMs, where the restrooms
are (very important and very limited).
- You've seen the costumes. Time to hit your favorite stores
and learn some new ones. Help us steer the new folks around and
make new friends.
- Bring your swatch books and pictures of what you want to make.
Know how much fabric or trim you need.
- Wear comfortable shoes, dress casual, leave the glittery at home if you want good
- We will give you maps and split you up in groups for your
priorities of fabric, beads or trim and how far you're willing to
- Even if you don't walk a lot, there are a great shopping point right near our
center meet point.
garment district shopping tips to read in advance.
- Meeting at Em-be's, 9th and Maple
- 305 E. 9th St, #135, LA
- From FIDM, just continue on 9th, left on Maple, left into
- Detailed driving instructions
We're going to leave downtown LA to save money, and just head out the 10
freeway. We've got a great inexpensive place that's just a short drive
away.... and the parking is free.
- Golden Coast Buffet, Alhambra. (used to be World Buffet)
- right off the 10/710.
- Chinese buffet but with American and Japanese food as well - Salads,
fresh shrimp, chicken skewers, pizza to sushi and you can make a
chocolate sundae for desert.
- Full dinner and soda, including tax and tip $16 each.
- address: 2223 W Commonwealth Ave., Alhambra
- Off the 10 freeway, at Freemont Ave, North to Commonwealth Ave,
Right, and then almost immediate left.
- Full detailed driving instructions
Costume Gather Yahoo group for planning the evening. and coordinating
things like carpooling.
We have an
RSVP List. Places for comments in the Database there.
We'll hammer out details there.
If you're coming in from out of town... let us know. We can do
something Friday evening as well.
Contact: Joyce at joyfulbs @ prodigy.net or Cat -
firstname.lastname@example.org / 818-430-6338
Actually, given the cost of parking downtown, it makes sense.
You'll have to pay twice. Use the Costume Gather list to coordinate
carpools... (Do not assume someone will have room. Make the plans in
- San Gabriel Valley - meet point right off the 10/710 freeway
- We're meeting across the street from Golden Coast Buffet in
- Full Driving Instructions
- 10 freeway, off at Freemont Ave
- Go North on Freemont
- Right on Commonwealth
- Turn right into the lot across the street from the restaurant.
There's not enough parking there, but there's plenty in the parking lot
of Albertsons/Party City/PetCo.
- Park directly across from the "Golden Coast Buffet" sign.
LOTR Home | Exhibit News & Special Events | Questions 'n' Answers | Site Map | News Archive
This page was last updated