LOTR Costume's LA Garment District and FIDM Movie Costume tour -- 2005
It's that time of year again. We're ready to spend the day
checking out costumes and shopping until we drop. You can join us for
all or just part of it.
All Exhibit details, including location and parking <here>.
Calendar of events:
Saturday, Feb 26th, 2005
Do to doing everything in one day this time, we're starting a bit earlier
per request for more time in the Garment District.
Anyone may join us... keep up with info at
Gather . Enter you name in the database and read the latest
- FIDM tour
- 10:00- 11:30 aprx
http://www.fashionmuseum.org , park under the building off of 9th,
on the right side.
- We get to see 100+ movie costumes in the main exhibit
- We shop at their scholarship
- (outside on Grand, near 9th).
- It has $1 a yard fabric... and they count yards as 1, 2, 5, bolt
most of the time.
- You can start later and take more time if you want, There
will not be a formal tour, we're just be scattering around to study
and sketch costume bits.
- Note: hit the bathrooms here before heading to the garment
- There is no lunch built into the schedule, but we'll show you
places you can eat downtown, or bring munchies.
- Pick up a map and sticker from me to identify you as part of the
group that's heading over to the garment district
- If you know the garment district, also pick up a "paw print" so
folks know you know you way around down there
- New folks... I'll do the intro and tip info either at FIDM or at
EmBe's. Depends on your time. Please let me know your want
to full explanation... vs. just want to be pointed in the "right"
direction for your pillage.
- While we're downtown... I want to start working on a better
map, please help me by collecting business cards and noting what's
good of them on the back of the card.
- Garment District tour and introduction
- 12pm aprox 4pm or 4:30
- Meeting at Em-be's, 9th and Maple - see below
- World Buffet, Alhambra...
- right off the 10/710. Chinese buffet but with American and
Japanese food as well - Salads, fresh shrimp, chicken skewers, pizza to
sushi and you can make a chocolate sundae for desert.
- address 2223 W Commonwealth Ave., Alhambra
- Instructions... below
LOTR_Costume_Gather yahoo group for planning the evening.
We have an RSVP List. Places for comments in the Database there.
We'll hammer out details there.
If you're coming in from out of town... let us know. We can do
something Friday evening as well.
Contact: Cat -
firstname.lastname@example.org or 818-430-6338
Intro to Garment District Touring
If you've never been downtown before a few tips.
- Dress down, no shiny jewelry even if plastic.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Much walking.
- Sun screen is a must as is a hat for the sun sensitive anytime the sun
- Cash speaks. "How much for a yard?" then "How much for 10 yards,
- Some places with barter; some will not.
- Most places DO NOT have marked prices nor marked fiber content
If you really need something, be ready to get a swatch and go out on the
street and do your own burn test. (So bring matches.)
- Checks are a no-no most places. There are some ATM machines down
there, but they're not always working and have $100 limits.
- Keep a close watch on your purse at all times.
- Bathrooms are few and far between, but our "home base" will be a
place with bathrooms.
- We're going into many small places. Be prepared to take notes.
- Some allow swatching and will staple the samples to business cards, some
don't. Then you need to make a minimum purchase to get a sample...
half yard often.
- The real cheep places, won't allow it... but at $1-2 a yard... just
buy their 2-3 yard minimum.
- The main area we're covering is Maple street between Olympic and 8th.
We figure 8 around there. There are separate paths to take depending
on what kind of fabric you're after or beads, or trim... etc.
- Eating: There are now some "brand name" places on Santee south of
Ninth. (One street west) On the weekends lines can be long... and
the bathroom lines even longer w/ purchase only. Starbucks, Subway,
McDonalds, El Polo Loco and more. The hot dog carts on Maple are
"safe" and the dogs are good.
Driving and Parking for FIDM and the LA Garment District
Getting down there... from the north side of Los Angeles.
- From the North, take your favorite freeway to the 110 Freeway south
- If you're transferring from the 101, you need to move over 2 lanes
- You need to be in the middle of the 110. DO NOT take the
- right after the Wilshire ramp, get all the way over to the right.
- Get off on 9th. (It only goes East.)
- Get into a middle lane
- (If you're going to FIDM, get on the right side, you park in the
building right after Hope Street, before Grand.)
- Past Los Angeles Street and the street becomes two way and you should
now be in the left lane. (Santee.)
- Turn left on Maple Street
- Go up about half a block and look for the flag man.
- Turn left into the building and go up the ramp.
- Take the elevators down to the 1st floor.
- Right across from the elevators in the center on the inside corner is
EmBee's. Introduce yourself to the shopkeeper and wait for us there.
- Meet at the building on 9th and Maple. The northwest corner.
Inside corner store... EmBee's
Getting to dinner:
- If you're not familiar with downtown or not sure you're comfortable
with the "gritter" part of LA... the best way out is the same way you came
- Exit the parking structure turn right (south).
- Pass 9th and turn right at the next street, Olympic. (Be
patience, lots of pedestrians.)
- You go down Olympic a mile or so... almost to the freeway. The
onramp sign pops out of the tree's at you. (about 2 streets before
- Turn right and you're on the 110 feeder ramp, north.
- On the ramps, work your way to the left to get onto the main
- You want the lane for 101 south. (it's one of the right most lanes).
The signage can get a bit weird... right after that, you want 10
east (San Bernardino Freeway)
- Once you peal out of the main downtown mess...ignore the other two
signs and just stick with 10 east arrows. That will mean
getting over to the left two lanes.
- (You'll loose some lanes and gain a bunch more as all the freeways
blend. No worries, you aim straight ahead down the San Bernardino
- Now... if you decide to take the short cut and just head north
out of the garment district you're heading into skid row, the LA
Mission area etc. (This will freak out folks not ready for
reality... so when in doubt... take the other route
- left at the parking lot and right on Los Angeles
- At the 101 freeway (san Bernardino), you make a right onto the
- Be careful, stuff is under construction, the normal ramp is missing,
it will dump you on fast and you've got to get over to the 2nd lane from
the left fast. (If you try to get on towards the east... those
ramps are closed right now.)
- Yes, there are other routes to get on the freeway... but none are as
direct and I only recommend them if you know them.
- Back to directions for all......
- You're on the 10 freeway heading east. Less than 5 miles down
the road, look for the Freemont Ave off ramp. It's the exit after
the 710 freeway split.
- Exit on Fremont Ave, turn a tight right under the freeway... you'll be
on Freemont heading north
- Go up about 6-7 lights
- Look for the Petco and Party City on the right. The light after it is
- Turn right on Commonwealth.
- Turn left less than a half block down into the parking lot for World
- Pick your favorite way out of downtown to the 101/10 east
- Get off on Freemont Ave.
- Swing right under the freeway and head up Freemont.
- Look for Petco and turn right on Commonwealth
- Left into the parking lot.
- Chow down!
End of the evening
- Right out of the parking lot
- Unless you're heading for Pasadena... left at the signal
- Down about 7 lights.
- If you want to continue to go east, go under the freeway and turn
left onto the ramp.
- If you're heading for the 5/710/101 etc.. turn left just before the
freeway, (following the signs). One stop sigh and you're on to the
LOTR Home | Traveling Exhibit | LA Costume Gather-10/05 | FIDM 2005 | Comic Con 2004 | RingCon 2004 | Weapons Exhibit | FIDM 2004 | Neiman Marcus - LA | FIDM 2003 | Toronto ROM 2002 | Whitcoulls | Dymock Bookstore
This page was last updated