Aya's Examples New York- USA
Arwen's Chase Dress
Click on pictures for enlargements.
I am a TOTAL beginner. I have never sewn any sort of clothing before. I knit, and I hem curtains. That's about the extent of it. Nor do I sculpt things - Simplicity pattern 9891 made it easy! However, I generally take a size 6-8 in dresses (these days about a 9-10 in pants though - all in the hips, so I get away with smaller dress size if its flowy) and I cut the pattern in a 10. It wasn't even close to fitting my torso. I redid all the seams at 1/2 inch rather then 5/8 and now it barely fits. (no coughing while wearing the dress!!!)
Simplicity pattern 9891; I modified the pattern slightly in the collar (it is less pointy), the sleeves, and the skirts. You can see that the sleeves I left split up to my inner elbow, and instead of a flouced I sewed a sort of petal shaped piece, self lined. This leaves an ugly seam on the inside (if I figure out what 'french' seams are I will do them in the future; I gather they're less ickly looking). The inner sleeve is just cut off from a shirt I bought and then just handstiched on to the inside of the dress sleeve. The skirts I split on the center back and side seams; for the front I just took scissors to it and cut it, and folded back the edges and sewed them down. The underskirt is a rayon skirt that I cut front and back, petaled the front of (I think I will increase the petalling) and dyed light grey. It was quite a full skirt, which I liked.
Shot of the back; you can see how I made a belt and just used the 'sash' to tie it on. The sash is cotton organza that I dyed light grey. I just freehanded the design of the belt. You can see the seam where I attached the sleeve very well. I would have liked them to be fuller, but I ran out of material! You can also see how the zipper is exposed and straining a bit; I told you the dress is a little small!!
Torso shot. You can see the belt buckle (sculpy - look closely, maybe you can see dog hair stuck to the still-tacky paint), which I tacked onto the belt. I also used some somewhat glitter black cord down the front center of the dress; it extends up around the collars - I though it kind of drew attention away from the seam of the yoke. The loops that I ran the ribbon through are just embroidery thread.
You can see the texture of the fabric - a polyester grey suiting, mid-weight - pretty well (and its artificially shiny gleam), as well as the cording, and the puckery, sewing job I did on the yoke.
I used simplicity 9891. Even without major modifications it works out okay and is pretty simple to make. It took me maybe week to do - working on it at night after work. Keep in mind I had to rip all my seams multiple times. I had the basic dress done in an hour or two, and another couple of hours to add the sleeves and yoke..
Try it!! It was fun!
Elves like to Party!
I also redid the belt buckle, and though it is now a little too big I like it better than the old one, and I also finally found some ribbon that would take dye and replaced the old skinny ribbon I had lacing the front of the dress.
Elves Like their Pets
these don't necessarily have to go with my dress; they're just pics of the ears I got. They were, I believe, made by "altered egos". I cut off the bottoms. I bought them at one of the seasonal mall Halloween stores that will be selling xmas ornaments in a few weeks for about $7.99. Make sure you get a 'good' pair; my right ear had a somewhat faulty tip (latex didn't fill the mold totally I think)
Also check out her reproduction of Eowyn's coat
This page was last updated 11/21/09