Every character in the Lord of the Rings wear wigs, except
for PJ's two children. Therefore, hair is very much a part of you
costume. They used wonderfully crafted custom human hair wigs... since
that's beyond the budget of most folks... we've compiled some lists
for a variety of budgets. These are just some guess by various folks.
Buys Wig Index
Find much more on hair over in our Tips section over in
All about Wigs
We're not going to try and teach you everything about wigs, but here's
the webmaster's fav place for wigs and wig supplies. They also carry
everything for taking care of your wig or shaping it. Want to go to
the extreme? They carry hair lace and the hook needed to knot hair
For styles, we suggestion...
Wiltshire wigs (
http://www.wilshirewigs.com/ ) have a few possibilities and good
Another site, Baron Unlimited seems to have a couple of good looking, but
more expensive wigs.
"FunWigs" have a couple that look like very nice hobbit wigs: #8
(Sabrina) and #9 (Sylvia). Both cost about $50, and neither come in grey
Rene of Paris are a little more expensive a wig, but I love
their quality and their multi toned hair colors. You pay a bit more, but
these don't look or behave like wigs... and will last forever.
Long, no bangs or can be brushed back
Sabrina by Rene of Paris
has no bangs with a really nice front finish. It is 30 inches long
about halfway between bust and waist. Has just enough curl to give
body, but is $105. There are no bangs on this one. Don't know
if they still have them in stock.
- Broadway 33 by Jon Renau, $50, 25", light wave, no bangs
Godiva by Wig America has straight hair that goes all the
way down to the rear: $49, straight
LA-3000 by Sepia curls, OK front, $65, 25"
Christine by Wig America, has less curl. Looks like it might
work for guys too.
Showgirl by Zury $38, front side part, light wave
Scarlet by Sepia, long waves, $44
I've been studding Galadriel's hair. It appears that her hair falls to
the bottom of her buttucks -- what wig companies call "thigh length". On
my short 5'1" self, that is 40 inches, so you're looking for a very long
I realize also that 40-inch wigs can be unweildy for children or even
adults unused to long hair, so some 30-inchers have been included in the
list. I don't recommend buying anything shorter than 30 inches.
I did post multiple sources for the same wig, in case they run out. A
few wig terms/notes to keep in mind when ordering.
- Galadriel Hair suggestions, many options
- Witch Wigs ---[Prices include
- Cher 951-XL $59.99 on sale. Skin top. Length = 44". Decent color
- Cher 951 $44.99 Length = 30". Straight. Skin top. Good color
- What shade of blonde? Color Ring is $14.
- Wilshirewigs.com --- [Prices
include free styling brush for orders over $20.]
- Misty by Sepia $38.50 How long?? Standard top.
- LA-3000, OR Showgirl (Color) by Sepia $62.50 Standard top, but
already has the waves!
- Godiva by Wig America $49 Skin top. Hip-length.
- Mermaid 40 by Jon Renau $51.50 Skin Top. Length: Description: Back:
32", Crown: 33", Sides: 28", Nape: 27" Available in Gold Blonde or
bleached blonde ONLY.
- 951 by Giant $47.50 Skin top, good color selection, length = 30".
- Deluxe Witch by Sepia $20 Standard top. Bleached blonde only. NOTE:
The name "witch" probably indicates Costume quality.
- Long Kinky Witch by Sepia $24 Standard top. Bleached blonde only.
Has waves, but they look smaller and frizzier than the Showgirl wig's.
[See note above regarding "witch".]
- www.wigs.com --- [Don't buy "Cher"
wigs here; they are way too expensive!]
- Broadway-G $77 Straight, but can have them prestyle the wig for
another $12.50. Skin top, length = 33"
- Godiva $65 Skin-top, thigh-length. Straight, but again can prestyle
for $12.50 [Same as the $49 dollar one from Wilshire Wigs, but Wilshire
won't style in the waves for you.]
- Mermaid $79. Straight, so add $12.50 for prestyling. Length approx.
= 40". Skin top.
NOTE: Not alot of length/cap type info listed for "costume wigs"
on this site; assume these are standard net tops. Prestyling is NOT
OFFERED for costume wigs!
- 1448 (Costume wig) $48. Straight.
- B304A (Costume wig) $36.75 Straight.
- Deluxe Showgirl (Costume wig) $41.50 Length= 30" Waves! But only
available in Strawberry blonde right now (Aug 18th, 2002). *cry*
- Godiva951xl (Costume Wig) $52.50 xl means Extra Long, as this wig is
to mid-thigh in the photo. Colors are Light blonde or gold blonde.
Straight. Should be same as "Cher 951-XL" from WitchWigs, because model
photo is the same.
- Showgirl 799 (Costume wig) $55.50 Golden Blonde ONLY. 36", wavy and
thick. Streetwear quality. Looks good even in an updo, they say. Skin
- Show Girl 952 (Costume wig) $49.50 wavy, looks hip-length. Light
blonde or gold blonde.
- [DO NOT get the "Naked Godiva-Rapunzel (Costume Wig)"!!!!!!! This
wig's "cap" lining goes all the way down the length of the hair and is
meant to be glued to the body.]
- Godiva $76.50 Length = 46" straight, skin top. Should be the same as
the $65 Godiva from wigs.com, because the model photo is the same.
Colors 15 (Warm Ash Blonde) and 24B (Med Warm Blonde) look good on
- Stephanie $79.95 Great waves! Skin top. Can be parted in the center.
Full, slightly wavy. Good color selection. Pic shows it brushed straight
back from the face.
- WG-340 "Deluxe Showgirl Wig" $42.95 36-inch long, wavy, thick and
- 50708 Only $22.20 for 60" Lady Godiva. Costume-quality.
- Lady Godiva --godivaxl $56.25 on sale. Streetwear quality. Straight.
Same as Cher 951-XL at Witchwigs, or Godiva951xl at wigs.com, because
model photo is the same. Note this is mean to be more a full
costume than just wig.
- SHOWGIRL W/O BANGS Straight. 32 inches long. Sale Price - $25.90
- Super Showgirl-CW336 $34 Length = 48" Slight waves. 6" bangs
- Showgirl-952 $48.75 Looks to be hip-length. Same as Show Girl 952
from wigs.com, because model photo is same.
- Jenny's Hair Sense
Info from Judy, Christa, Cat, N'Stasha, Ginger et al
Often, you can use the same long haired wigs as for the ladies, just get
them in another color and don't style them so prettily. If
you've got a bit head, you may have to clip the back of the wig cap... if
you do finish the edges and add some elastic.
Gandalf beards or sets
- Deluxe beard, $22
- Rip van Winkle - wig and beards, $54
- Wizard Wig and beard $33,
- Veryyyyy bargain Wizard Wig and beard, 19.50
for Hobbit feet and adding more natural fronts to wigs
- Hair lace
- you'll only need a little bit, so a 1/4 yard may handle what you
need. Know how much your pattern requires. Check the
- Ventilation tool
- May be separate as needles and handle
- Extra needles can be bought.
Some shop suggestions. These items may not always be listed on the
web site, so you may need to e-mail. Check prices. they do varry.
(Please note, these items are just listed by our board
members as assistance to you. Prices may change. Most of these prices are
as of Summer, 2002)
LOTR Home | The Hobbit | News 'n' Exhibits | Characters | Quick Costumes | Making 'Em | Buy It | Resources | Community | Search Us | Contact Us
Up | Fabric and Patterns | Fabric Swatches | Makeup | Elven Eyes | Wig Finds | Accessories | LOTR Artisans
This page was last updated