LOTR Maille Patterns
Lots of info about chain maille in these sections, here's where it
matter. The filmmakers used a lot of maille in the LOTR Trilogy.
Spec on exact pattern used in LOTR
- Running favorite on the maille boards is
- Euro 4-1
- Most outfits are vanilla 4-1
- most European weave look like sheets of grey cloth from the
- Gimli's shirt, which is > apparently some hellish knitted washer
and wire creation
- Elrond's mantle. Think it's smallish euro 4-1 hung sideways
(maille has a grain, and depending on how you hang it, it looks and
behaves differently) but the opinions about that beastie are
- Euro 4-1 Pattern:
- Maille reports from the London Exhibit, 2003 (JB/Xander)
- Found some real maille, no plastic! Sauron's 'loincloth', chausses and
sleeves have 'round rings', unlike the plastic maille. I ran into a bit of
a maille conundrum with the third age Gondorian maille, the rings seem to
have a groove running around the outside, they almost look like key ring
maille without the thread ends showing. Very strange.
- Some notes on what was said about the plastic maille: they are made of
2mm thick polybutylene rings, half of which were cut open with a knife, on
an angle to make them stronger when closed. After weaving, they were
melted closed with a hot knife, and metalplated. There were two patches of
their plastic maille you could touch. One was coppertoned with smaller
rings (8-10mm, sorry no calipers on me), the other was silvertoned with
bigger rings (20mm or bigger). Especially the small rings weren't much
lighter than aluminum. There were also some Rohirrim and elven swords on
display in the epoxy, steel and alu versions, which you could also touch
and they challenged you to guess which was which.
- Runners up, but now almost all completely discounted... but it
was a fun quest while the research was done!
- Japanese Hitoye-Gusari (2-4)
- It's a bit lighter and more flexible
- because it films better than euro 4-1
- weave is Euro 4-1 but with small rings between large rings
- Flatted rings
- These are the cuts from the PVC pipe.
- Gimli: J2-4 - agreement
- Aragorn: Snake?
Thank you to all who contributed to this section... too many to name
LOTR Maille Patterns | Making PVC Maille | Chain Maille Cheats | Link Materials | Tools | Making Metal Rings | Pattern Making | Aging Maille | Tips
LOTR Home | All About Chain Maille | Armor Terms | Scale Armor | Armor Cheats | Armor Tips | Gambeson | Armor and LOTR
This page was last updated