Different weights in leather and their uses
We're just starting here. This is not meant to be an end-all list.
Just some bits of help.
Leather thickness is normally defined in ounces - (i.e., how many ounces
does one square foot weigh, aprox.)
Various items and recommended weights of leather.
- Surcoats (Boromir and Aragorn)
- 2oz, though more commonly called garment weight
- Suede Tunic (Legolas)
- Pig skin suede, may be a bit heaver than 2oz
- Boot wraps
- 4 oz aprox. Basically a good chapside suede. It is
stiff for a suede but good for this purpose
- 5-7 oz for sturdy ones
- decorative may be made out of lighter weights
- 10 oz is most recommended but some use 7-8 oz with good results. It
may depend on what you can get you hands on.
More tips on choosing leather
v ----- Advertisement -----v
^ -----Advertisement ----- ^
Pattern Modification & Tips | Fabric Techniques | Fabric Embellishment | All About Armor | Leather Working | Vambraces to Gloves | Weapon Tips | Shoe Tips | Metalwork and Crowns | Working with Clay | Casting Belt Buckle | Casting Small Props | Pipe Making Tips
LOTR Home | Up | Terms & Definitions | Leather Weights | Estimating Leather | Patterning in Leather | Leather Tips | Aging & Distressing | Tooling Leather | Machine Sewing | Hand Sewing | Leather Etch | Gilding Leather Carving | Faking Leather
This page was last updated