The body of the dress is a heavily
altered Simplicity 9103. I used the back as the front too since I needed
a high neck and I'm pretty flat anyway. The sleeves and skirts I drafted
myself. The 'underskirt' is different from the original, it is actually
a pair of circle pants, extremely wide pants that resemble a circle
skirt. I didn't make a whole underlayer, just the pants and sleeves.
I used synthetic stretch velvet for the outer layer and polyester
heavy voile for the sleeves and underskirt. I was lucky enough to be
able to use a friend's serger, and especially the narrow hem on the
sleeves and skirts makes all the difference. The toggle shaped buttons
aren't functional, I sewed up the front and left just a small slit to
get my head in, which closes with snaps.
The belt has a base of cotton and fusible interfacing, with a
gathered bit of the sleeve fabric sewn on. The 'buckle' is a belt
fitting I found in a secondhand store and silverplated with plating
polish. The actual closure is a lacing in the back. The circlet is made
of 1mm silverplated wire and blue goldstone round and diamond shaped
beads. It ties in the back with satin ribbon.
This is an amazingly comfortable costume to wear in spite of the poly
fabric. I left small air holes under the arms for air circulation so it
doesn't get too hot. It also has the advantage of the bigger sleeves
falling away from your arms and staying out of your way.