Kickin’ Back – Halloween at Home
OK, so sometimes you’re not up to running out and around in costume… Maybe you just want a break this year. Maybe you’re under the weather. Home is not a bad place to be… you’ve got many choices to rock those hauntin’ spirits.
This page works for everywhere, not just Los Angeles… times may vary as I’m listing PDTs.
- The Boo-Tube
- Television time galore
- DVD Scares
- What’s the latest out there
- Fun out on the ‘Net
- Moves and things to watch on-line
- When to expect the little Goblins and Ghouls
- Links to tips
The TV stations only release their schedules a few weeks in advance… so keep checking back for updates as I get them.
Loads of television for your Halloween viewing pleasure. Check out your TV for all kinds of monster festivals. Let them wear the costumes and makeup! You’ll have your feet propped up and a bowl of candy in your arms. OK, you’re allowed to wear a costume too, but sweats are just as good. Wear black.
Get started with some web games and schedules: (You’re on your own for the rest!)
Great summary of everything Halloween on TV from Dark Lady: http://darkladyshorrorhalloween.weebly.com/darkladys-blog/tv-halloween-lineup-for-october
Turner Classic Movies : www.TurnerClassicMovies.com.
TCM has a active horror lineup this year. Horror movies from silent to comedy, B&W noir to modern ghosts, a sprinkling of early Sci-fi and lots of undead screams with a heavy emphasis on ’60 and ’70 horror. Beasties and bugs and snakes and other things to chase your dreams.
- Fridays are the big night with Terror Class Movie Night
- October 7, 2016: 1920’s horror classics
- October 14, 2016: Horror Comedy – all years from the 30’s though the 70’s Young Frankenstein
- October 21, 2016: Evil Scientists and Doctors from the 40’s though 60’s
- October 28, 2016: Universal Horror – 30’s and 40’s classics
- But don’t miss other nights
- Sundays honor the monster of the month: Frankenstein
- Monday’s – 17 & 24, 2016: Star of the Month: Christopher Lee
- Halloween: A great night (and day) of classics
See a nice writeup of the haunted movie happenings at PopHorror : http://www.pophorror.com/turner-classic-movies-horror-lineup-for-2016/
SyFy Channel – 31 Days of Halloween
By the middle of the month, they’re in full swing with horror movies and series. Moves are a mix of their low budget SciFi Originals and good solid classics screamers mixed with their regular programming. Movies run in small batches of themes: spiders, pumpkins, werewolves, devils, . Often movies and their sequels. Bigger budget flicks than Chiller.
- Get your zombie fix with movies scattered throughout the month plus Z-Nation and Van Helsing.
- Vampires are high on their schedule including Blade, Lost Boys and Underworld. Screening back-to-back marathons multiple times.
- ? – Z-nation marathon
- Saturday Night is once again SyFy originals night
- Nice sets of scary movies each day and night including Wrong Turn, Phantasm, Resident Evil, Lake Placid, Cabin Fever, Blade, Texas Chainsaw Massacre,
- Haunting Series: Ghost Hunters, Paranormal Witness,
- Ghost Hunter’s has all new episodes. This is their final season.
Full schedule here: http://www.syfy.com/schedule
Good article on some of the highlights this month: http://www.pophorror.com/syfy-announces-31-days-of-halloween-schedule/
October Movie Madness
All horror, all the time. Find movies every evening and almost all weekend long. Series marathons of horror, suspense, sci-fi and supernatural. Some classics, lots of horror movies so bad they’re good. Modern scares, most are from 1990-2010. Since it’s commercial cable, the gore is trimmed down a bit… so it’s a great option for low (er lower blood) camp while still getting chills.
- Other series includes: Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, The X-Files, Chanel Zero, Most Daring, Physic Investigations, Ghost Hunters International, Unexplained Mysteries, and more to spook you out.
- Themes on different nights of the week:
- Throwback Thursdays (mostly 1980’s cult classics)
- Don’t Watch Alone Saturdays (plenty to Twitter about)
- A lot of the movies repeat. Popular movie franchisees this month include: Blair Witch,
Chiller doesn’t do a full month schedule, so you have to check back for their plans at Halloween.
AMC’s Horror – www.AMCTV.com
- The Walking Dead returns Sunday, October 23, 2016 !!! With that we also get Talking Dead.
- There’s a sweepstakes to get tickets for the opening party at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Enter Daily at: http://www.talkingdeadsweeps.com/
- Check out your On Demand options for last as well.
- Fear the Walking Dead has wound down for the year, but you can find episodes On Demand.
- They don’t post a full monthly scheduled but the first half of the month runs to Sci-Fi more than scary, but quite a bit of gems.
- If you miss your favs, check their schedule, they’ll probably be rerunning it. Mornings are mostly classic B&W. Afternoon has more modern horror flicks. They’re often in groups… so pick your favorite poisons.
ABC Family TV Free Form hosts a set of spooky “family” movies October 19-31, 2015 .
Feel that chill running down your spine? That could only mean one thing. The 13 Nights of Halloween are baaaaaaack … and spookier than ever. With more movies than you can shake a broomstick at — Make sure to leave room in your treat bag for polls and videos for every ghoul and boy. So grab a fistful of Halloween candy and settle in for some dark and stormy nights, because the 13 Nights of Halloween are coming for you. And there’s no escape!
Be on the look out for for early Harry Potter movies, catch the Adams Family movies, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride, Hocus Pocus, Casper, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and more spooky fun. Also catch a special Halloween episode of Stitchers. Movies repeat, check your guide.
http://abcfamily.go.com/specials/13-nights-halloween/ or until they get the link up… Press Release Info
There are plenty of late night horror movies showing – cheesy classics to modern mayhem. Sho Beyond channel even screens some of the same horror flicks at SyFy and Chillers, but unedited w/ all the gore.
There’s a gene search for Horror across their set of channels… but it only goes about 2 weeks in advance. One of their specials this month is Twilight.
Both have selections of horror flicks in celebration of Halloween. All October, 2015. Also have a nice selection or horror on-demand.
Don’t forget to set your DVR for Starz’s Ash vs. the Evil Dead. The series starts up on Halloween.
HBO seems to be mostly ignoring Halloween this year. Top offerings since to be Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter (seriously), and Dark Shadows. There are a few more horror and suspence, but it’s not the Chanel for it this year. However, you can get plenty of super heroes, Harry Potter and Hobbits.
Check your favorite channel for your kind of horror movie. Not all stations’ schedules are set in stone any longer.
Watch out, many on-line listings are Eastern time zones!!!
Not updated yet… will get info only a week or two before Halloween.
A quick look at the TV Guild’s Halloween schedule shows that lots of channels They also have some fun spooky trivia and a list of the hottest scary stars… that’s very painful.
Halloween night series marathons
(Not many just for prime time, see the grouping below for the weekend TV plans.)
The morning show on the networks have Halloween specials planned
Lifetime – Halloween episodes of a number of their series.
Court TV – “Psychic” and other supernatural stories
ABC Family – “Scariest Places on Earth”
TNT – (early morning) X-flies, Angel, Charmed
Supernatural movie marathons:
Bravo, the “extreme” cable channels
TBS – Sunday
Shows with a Halloween/Spooky Theme
No way to list them all, but a few include …
Halloween night fun
Look for the marathon events, being mid-week, individual programs are week.
Good themes and marathons – starting on the weekend, or even earlier…
Disney is airing spooky movies at 8pm for 2 weeks before Halloween, including Twiches and Halloween Town
History Channel has Vampires, Occult themes, Nostradamus, and other haunted and supernatural themes for it’s programming , almost solid horror on Halloween
Discovery – A Haunting Marathon (Sunday), More Haunting though Wednesday
Travel Channel: Lots of Halloween goings on “Halloween’s Most Extreme”, “World’s Creepiest”, “Most Haunted Living”, etc. The weekend before is more Haunted Houses and Weird Travels
The cartoon channels are playing a lot of Scoobe-do and lots of “haunted” cartoons all weekend
A&E – Lots of Haunted Houses
HGTV – “What’s with this House?” Home haunts – Halloween Weekend
and… much, much more, check your favorite channels for their version of Halloween.
May not get this updated this year, or not until the end of the month… sorry… Reality Bites
The latest scares just out on DVD for 2015
Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters Collection
Bud and Lou meeting Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the Mummy.
- September 8
- Staring: Bud Abbott & Lou Costello
Teenage friends must resist the spell of an evil showman staging a house of horrors show in their small town.
- September 29
A young man travels back in time, finding himself entrenched in the Civil War with an army of Frankensteins.
- September 1
An evil is unleashed in a small town when a logging company sets up shop in the neighboring woods.
The giant, man-eating Graboids are back and even deadlier than before, terrorizing the inhabitants of a South African wildlife reserve as they attack from below-and above.
- October 6
Two New Orleans detectives become embroiled in a centuries-long feud between two secretive factions of vampires while investigating a runaway child’s case. Torn between their everyday lives and the dangerous lure of immortality, the detectives must race to destroy the evil Moldero clan.
- October 6
Based on a short story by Stephen King, a man and his family return to his home town, but he is then harassed by teenagers that died when he was a kid.
- October 27
— TV Series just released for 2015
Grim: Season 4
- September 29
iZombie: Season 1
- September 29
Penny Dreadful: Season 2
- October 6
American Horror Story: Freak Show
- October 6
List of all the DVD’s coming out in October at Coming Soon
Find reviews of the recent horror movies and DVD releases at Aint-It-Cool – (warning: adult language)
Interesting sites to download movies and other fun stuff
Zombie Cinema – http://zombiemovies.blogspot.com/
All Zombie movies, all the time — free movies in public domain plus other fun with Zombies.
This has gotten tougher to determine. It used to be about an hour before dusk… but here are a few tips….
If the local Park and Rec department is having a Halloween Fair, don’t expect the little goblins until after it ends. However, the closer you are to the park, the sooner after the close the kid’s festivities you will see them.
- If the local part doesn’t have something, you may see them as early as 4pm so that the parents can get the kids back in the house before the city’s real ghouls are out… so if you come home early to change into your costume for the evening parties, have a bit of candy around for the neighborhood young ones.
- Check out our local fair listing for the smaller ones
- If you’re in an apartment, you’ll have very few beyond the building’s kids… and the kids will be heading out to parties, especially if you have a security gate.
- If you’ve got a house near a heavy apartment area, and you’re looking for lot trick-or-treaters, decorate you house with flare and leave your lights on late. You’ll get batches at all different times. They won’t stop until you turn out the lights.
For the trick or treating youngsters and their parents